Sunday, June 21, 2020

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


I believe no matter how old children get they always want to make their fathers proud. I know it is probably silly to some, but I really have a memory that comes up a lot when I think about my dad and him being proud. Thirty-two years ago, I shared the lead in the senior class play. It was a comedy and we all had a lot of fun performing it. I remember at one point I was on the stage in the old gym at Clements by myself. I was in the middle of a speech and I caught my daddy's eyes. He was standing in the back with a smile that was not only on his face but deep in his eyes. I remember thinking"wow! "He is really liking this!" I knew at that moment he was proud of me. 

It was really one of those rare moments where that connection was made and nothing had to be said. We live for those moments. I think about that day often when I am thinking about dad. Like I said it may sound silly to some but I have said it before he was a man of very few words. I try to remember that when I deal with Jensen. Those will be the moments that stand out in our and our children's lives forever. I miss my dad; I miss telling him things that I know would make him proud. 


On this Father's Day, I want to throw out a challenge to every father to make those moments. Let's tell and show our children how proud we are of them. Constructive criticism is great, but make the most of those moments! Let's show them how proud we are of them. Thanks, Daddy for looking at me in that moment. That moment in a 17 year old boy's life can still bring a warm feeling and a smile after all of these years! Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment