Sunday, September 2, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Ok...a few Sundays ago Jensen and I went to Zaxby’s after church to pick up lunch. The dining room was full and no parking so...yep...you guessed it ...DRIVE THRU!! I have documented my fear of drive thru’s on here in the past. The anxiety started. I pull up to the dreaded speaker from the bowels of the earth and the guy speaks. He sounds almost “unearthly”...like Charlie Brown’s teacher and Homer Simpson had a baby. I immediately break into a sweat. I “assume” He says “ may I take your order?” or something like that. So Jensen and I are pretty good at ordering straight off the menu. Leigh on the other hand likes those “special requests .” She wanted a Zac Snack buffalo style. I’ve yet to see this on the menu and every time she requests that I follow with “are you sure they’ll make it?” It’s some kind of irrational fear because she and I have ordered it many, many times. It’s a struggle sometime for Mr. or Mrs “teeenager just order from the menu”person who takes the order but we usually can get er’ done as they say. 

Anyway I order. The alien voice in a blurred , tinny, Wayne Newton-isk asks a question. I panic! WHAT? I don’t know what he said. I’m struggling trying to figure out context clues as to what would logically be the next question. Jensen has been un- interested and quite amused at my panic attack. I look to her for help and she says in an excited voice “JUST SAY SWEET TEA” “SAY SWEET TEA!” So I get my wits about me and turn to the box from the depths and scream...yes I screamed...SWEET TEA!!!”.....Silence....dead silence ....then a “normal” voice comes on and says “Ma’am”..(got to work on deepening my voice...probably the scream). “You want your chicken dipped in sweet tea ?” All the color leaves my face. No, no mild...I want mild buffalo sauce ! You can hear the chuckling in the background from the speaker. Always happens to me...Always. I hate drive thru’s....never gonna change. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment