Wednesday, September 9, 2020

NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS MONTH - DAY 9

3 ways to save important documents + a downloadable master sheet | PreparednessMama
In the event of an emergency, one that requires you to evacuate your home, you will most likely need to have access to your important documents. Things like insurance policies, birth certificates, vehicle registration, and a copy of your driver’s license may be required to prove your identity or that you own the property in question. Is it physically possible to carry all the information that may be needed? 
Probably not…you could collect it all in your emergency binder and be ready to grab it and go, but is that the most secure way to save important documents? 

#1 Paper. Keep it in a Grab-N-Go Binder.

For years, I operated under the assumption that paper documents and books are the best way to collect my data and that I will have all my resources available in my binder if I should need them. There is a problem with this though, if we have a fire or flood, or if a disaster happens when I’m not home – my grab and go binder, my personal identifying documents, and all my preparedness resources could be lost.
 
What do I do then? I would lose years of information – gone – in an instant. The only way to prevent it is to carry the binder with me at all times, which is not very efficient, or secure. There is still room for a grab-and-go emergency binder in your preparedness plans. You may want to store original documents that are the hardest, or most time consuming, to replace. Things like birth certificates, car titles, passports, military service records, discharge papers, and marriage certificates. These documents can be copied and stored in your binder but also stored digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment