Monday, July 30, 2012

SAVING MONEY ON LAUNDRY


THOUGHTS FROM THE TOTALLY READY BLOG
This week I started with the laundry. I have been using white vinegar instead of fabric softener. I just put the vinegar in my softener ball. My clothes are nice and soft and none of them smell like vinegar. Now, a gallon of white vinegar costs $3.29 while a gallon of fabric softener cost $15.99. If I use four gallons a year that is a savings of $50.80 per year, a start. Next step is making laundry detergent and putting up a wash line in the backyard. Laundry detergent is currently costing me $12.99 a gallon.  Homemade will cost me $.50 per gallon. Since I use about  6 gallons a year that is a savings of $74.94 per year. Last year when our power went out I hung out the wash. It took me just a few minutes and by the time I got the last few things hung up the first were almost dry. I love fluffy towels so I am planning to dry the towels on the line and then put them into the dryer on air for a few minutes to fluff them up. I should see a savings of $202.80 for the year. To calculate your savings go to http://www.dryertips.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-my-dryer.html

For the complete article, click on the link. TOTALLY READY BLOG


Hillspirit's Thoughts:
Remember to visit the Penny Pincher Pantry for a homemade laundry soap recipe.  It is to the right under the other websites.  I increased the borax and washing soda to 2 cups per bar of soap, seems to do a better job getting out real dirt.  The less strong recipe on the "Pantry" site does get the stink out.  I just wanted a bit more cleaning power. Since prices are going up and up due to the drought as well as other things, I'm going to stock up on crackers.  We like soups when it gets cold and my hubby has to have crackers with his soup.  I personally love homemade bread with mine but to each his own.  I think the canning crackers idea on the "Pantry" might be worth trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment