Monday, July 11, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Truthfully I didn't feel like running this morning. Even canceled on a group. I got out and did 5 in the village anyway. Made me feel better. 

As I was running I saw a grandfather picking up 3 of his grandchildren. Took me back to a summer morning of my youth. My grandfather was retired my whole childhood and spent many days finding something to do. Most of the time some of us grandchildren were tagging along. 

On many occasions he would go to the orchard and purchase peaches to sell door to door or park and sell. One morning me and my two cousins Janet Byram Lee and Gregory L. Reece went with him to "peddle" his peaches. 



Granddaddy had a 1948 dodge pick-up that he had painted with a paint brush. It was a 3 speed on the column and had the choke on the dashboard. I can still smell the old seats in that truck. 



Granddaddy never got the old truck over 25 mph and he would cut the switch off going down hills to save gas. He had built a make shift shelf with a cover on it that fit in the bed. 

He agreed to let us ride in the back after we crossed Buck Island bridge. We were selling around Lester where most of his family came from. It was hot! We all had peach fuzz under our chins and in every sweaty crease there is. We thought it would be a hoot to tell granddaddy Janet fell out of the truck. She hid under the shelf and Greg and I beat in the cab yelling "Janet fell out!" 

Now granddaddy had a hearing problem. He did have hearing aids but he "re-charged" his batteries by laying them in the sun. In other words....it was dead. After much yelling he finally stopped the truck got out and ran to the back looking for her. She popped out from under the shelf and needless to say we had a good laugh and granddaddy swore he would never take us anywhere again. 

He started up a hill and we were laughing and talking. I was sitting on the edge of the bed and yep! ....you guessed it.....I fell out! Luckily we were going about 15 mph but it still rattled me. I heard Janet and Greg banging on the cab but granddaddy wasn't going to be fooled a second time. He topped the hill, cut off the switch, pushed the clutch and started down the other side. 

I was running as hard as
my short bow legs would carry me. Of course going down hill I had momentum and I passed him! All I could do was look over and wave! He stopped at the bottom of the hill and needless say that was the last time we all three got to go with him anywhere! 

Great, great memories. I miss that man. I miss my cousins! Life was simple back then! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment