Monday, March 4, 2019

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Ok...my early 80’s skating friends....do you remember these?? I will never forget saving my money to get one of these. Got $5 a week from my grandmother for mowing her grass. It was $1.25 to get in the skating rink and you could get a drink and a slice of pizza for .50 at the concession stand. After that I had $3.25 left. Never will forget the Panama Jack shirts at Bennett’s were $16. Took me over a month to save up but I did and I got one. I was 15 years old and irresistible (right) after bathing in CHAPS cologne from Big B drugs and sporting my Sedgefield jeans from Rogers Dept store. Had my Jordache belt on that came in a pack of 3 colors and you just changed the buckle. I’d get out of the car and the line to get in would be wrapped around the skating rink’s corner. I bet you could smell me before you saw me. I can still smell the inside of that skating rink. Jack Collins owned the place and made sure all of our shirts were tucked in. Caught me holding hands one time with my girl and I remember it like it was yesterday, he said “you got pockets if your hands are cold!” He ran a tight ship and parents didn’t worry about us while we were there. From Robyn Terry’s birthday parties to the all night skates, we had a great time. I remember we would be shoulder to shoulder at times skating. This was extremely dangerous if you were by my friend, Jeanie Butler. She kicked when she skated. She could take down half the floor with one kick on nights like that. Those were some great times! Wish there were places like that for young people now. Made a lot of memories there in my Panama Jack shirt! Have a good one !!

No comments:

Post a Comment