Friday, March 8, 2019

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Went to watch West Limestone play in the regional tournament at Wallace State few weeks ago. They won! Great game! Looking at the kids and the seniors and started thinking about high school and friends. Yeah...it’s been a minute. Will be 33 years this year. That doesn’t seem possible. 

I was thinking about senior year and an infamous “skip” day. My friend Brian Holt and I had decided we were going to skip and go to Dexter’s apartment at UNA. I’m pretty sure I told mama while she was running bath water or using the mixer. Brian told his mom, Charlene. Well we skipped and went and laid out by the pool with our farmer’s tans and towels. Pretty uneventful but better than school. Back then the procedure was when you missed a day you carried your excuse to Mrs. Nanette McBay ( who was better than Matlock at sniffing out a fake) and she gave you a small white square that you had every teacher, every period sign. It was marked excused or unexcused. Well..there were days mama or daddy were in such a hurry that they “forgot” to write me an excuse. It was for that reason(and that reason only) that I had practiced and practiced their signatures....yeah...that’s it 😉

Well what do you know...they forgot that day. I had to write my own excuse about being sick(you know...sore throat) and sign it for Mrs McBay. The next day it just so happens Brian and I end up in line, me in front of him, to give our notes to Mrs. McBay. I hand her mine , cough a little and clear my throat , while she eyes my sunburned arms and raccoon eyed burned face and get a note marked excused. Brian then hands her his. I’m walking out the door and she says “Barry,”. “Come back”. She asks for the note and marks it unexcused. I’m in shock. I look at Brian puzzled and he just shrugs and said mine is unexcused too. I turn to Mrs. McBay and she shows me Brian’s excuse. Seems his mom had not forgotten. And he had NEVER practiced her signature just in case. He gave her an excuse his mom had written!!! It said “Brian and Barry skipped school yesterday!” Busted!! He never looked at the note!! Still can’t believe it! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment