Wednesday, March 20, 2019

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


The most profound learning moments of my life have more than often been prefaced with a “no” or a disappointment. Never telling our kids no, never allowing them disappointment
and fighting their battles will only lead to heartache for that child. 


I remember being young and getting in a situation where I was caught on the wrong end of a teacher’s paddle. Granted most times I was right where I needed to be, but this particular time I was innocent. Sort of ...Anyway I remember thinking my mom will take care of this. I came home, told her what had happened and sat there expecting an outrage. She calmly looked at me and asked “were you hanging with the people who caused the incident?” “Did you walk away while it was going on?” What? I was innocent. She told me she believed I was innocent. But what actions on my part led to me being perceived as guilty. 

That taught me so much. It has always stuck with me. A few weeks later the teacher told me she found out I didn’t actually commit the “crime.” I realized then that guilt by association is a real thing and even though it may be unjustified,  IT IS LIFE! All of this “trophies for all” and never being hurt and honestly never feeling “less than” or ridiculed is not life. Not being able to deal with it is detrimental. Life is tough. Not knowing how to handle it is tougher. Being strong enough to handle it is a must! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment