Monday, December 5, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


People come in to our lives at certain times. This lady came into mine when I started dating Leigh. She was a beautiful lady with a unique personality and a heart of gold. 

I remember well the first time I met her. She was going to eat with Leigh and me in Decatur. We were in my car and I noticed I didn't see her in in the mirror. I leaned over and whispered to Leigh " I think something is wrong with your Nanny". She said "No, she lays down when she gets scared". 


This started years of camping trips, vacations, and regular Tuesday and Thursday night suppers with us. She kept Jensen three days a week before she started to school. I would pick her up in the afternoon and it would turn in to an hour or more of conversation and discussions. She kept up to date on current events and always wanted my opinion, which strangely always seem to be in stark contrast to her's. Yes, she enjoyed a good "debate."


She worked hard and was tech savvy and was face timing with her out of state sister before most of us even knew what it was. She loved her family and treated me as one of her own. 

She sadly had a debilitating stroke 7 years ago and was unable to walk or speak as clearly as before. She had to have 24 hour care and became a resident at Limestone Health Facility. She continued to attend church and to make it to family events, and while a little harder to understand, she still was very much a part of our conversations. 

I was honored to eulogize her today at her service. I said that I have heard that you may forget what someone gives you, but you will never forget how they make you feel. She always made me feel loved. What a privilege it was to know her and be a part of her family. She was my wife's grandmother but she became one of my best friends! 

I will miss you Nanny! I will always miss those home made peppermint patties and your chocolate fudge cake! I know you are in a much better place where that wheelchair will no longer be needed and you will speak and sing with clarity with that beautiful voice. Thanks for loving us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment