Sunday, May 13, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Leigh and I were going to Decatur to eat last night. We were driving down Sixth Ave and we passed the shopping center where Parisian’s used to be. I think it’s a Big Lots now. Memories from the past flooded over me. My brother is older and when he got his license he was gone on Saturday nights. Dad was part of a stock car racing team and his Saturday nights were spent at a dirt track. We went with him on some occasions but man your ears could only take so much of those cars. 

 On many of those Saturday nights it was me and mom. We would go to Decatur. She would go shop in Parisian’s and give me money to walk down the strip mall to Woolco I believe it was. Most of the time it was spent on model cars(except one faithful night I bought a noise making “swizzle stick”’which mom threw out somewhere between Lawson’s trailer park and Tanner 😀) and magic tricks. Afterward we would go across the road to Shoney’s and eat. A Redstone Federal stands there today. I smiled when I thought about that last night. We always had a great time. She always made me laugh. But more than than that she talked to me. Really talked to me. She told me stories of the past. We discussed future plans. We talked about things that were important to 12 year old boys and we laughed. Boy did we laugh. She built a confidence in me that is worth more than anything she could have ever given me. She made me believe that I mattered and what I had to say meant something to not only her but others. She gave me her time and her attention for those hours we were together. She made me better. 

In my book that’s what mother’s should be about. Especially to young men. She instilled in me self worth and values that have stayed with me through adulthood. I may not always live up to those lessons I learned through easy conversation but they are with me. I owe her a lot. She’s a very special lady!! Hope all you mother’s have a special day tomrrow! What you do matters so much in your children’s lives! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment