Monday, January 12, 2015

A NIGHT AT THE RED CABOOSE

The Red Caboose opened it's 2015 country music season with a fantastic show that goes down in the books as "you really missed it, if you weren't there". What a great night at the Red Caboose! It's amazing how a song can stir up feelings and emotions. Knowing why it was written and how makes it even better! The talent these people have is God given and great! My town of Elkmont has the best entertainment around when Gary Compton has these songwriters' nights at the Caboose! 

One of the best things that Gary Compton enjoys about the shows is seeing others enjoy the performance.  It doesn't get any better than a great crowd and great entertainers. The Red Caboose was packed but no one seemed to mind. The next show will be January 24th; make your reservations soon. Doors open @ 6pm; show at 7 pm.

Barry's Thoughts:
Jimmy Melton, a songwriter who performed at the Red Caboose tonight, sang a song he had written called "Mama's House". What a powerful message it had about love and respect for our mamas. The song spoke about smells of food, clean floors and furniture, and acting a little" straighter" when we walk in the door. I came home and made me a velveeta cheese sandwich ( just a little mayonnaise) and a side of Frito Lay corn chips. This was what was waiting on me, my brother and Tracy Miller every day when we got off the bus. Never had to ask....it was just there! Leigh bought some Mop N Glo the other day for a Christmas project and as soon as I smelled it, it took me back to Saturday mornings when mama would get up and "wax" the linoleum before we got out of bed. I never saw her sit down. She worked her job and spent the rest of her time making sure we were taken care of. She did without for all of us so that we could have more. I remember her ironing my t-shirts to wear to school! When I went to college I couldn't figure out where the pile of clothes came from, because at home I threw them down and the next day they were washed, dried, ironed and hanging in my closet. Spoiled us...but in a good way. She honestly was an example to me of what denying yourself and giving to your family means. She taught me how to give and love and to receive blessings from doing it. Health problems have slowed her down. She isn't able to do all she once did and she now lives in the house alone. The respect I have for her runs deep in the love she showed me and others. The house is just that. Walls, windows, floors and doors. The home is the lady that lives inside those walls. Great is all I can remember of my childhood and teen-age years. Thank you mama and all of the other mamas who have always given of yourself! We were loved and we knew it. Have a good one

No comments:

Post a Comment