Monday, March 25, 2019

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Ok...man what have I done wrong ... my little dog Belle was barking yesterday morning at her water bowl. This usuallymeans “Hey dad, I’m empty!” “Fill’er up!” So I get a glass of filtered water (yeah..I know) from the fridge door and pour it in. She didn’t drink. Last night we were discussing how she’s not drinking much. She’s getting old (10) and we discussed how I need to take her to the vet and maybe we should start thinking about her as “old”. 

This morning she looks kind of “peek-ed” as my mama used to say so I thought maybe she is sick. I give her her morning pop tart and she chows down. I see her walk toward her water bowl and she looks at it and moves on. I get a little teary eyed thinking about life without Belle. I’m on the couch reliving memories, thinking about how fun she’s been, how she loves her balls, how Jensen will hurt if she passes away. She’s over there basically licking her lips to death. Mouth all dry...coughing. I google “dogs not drinking “ and find out she has about 50 canine diseases and none end in a good way. 

She heads back to her water bowl and just stands and looks. I follow her when I notice a little piece of grass in her bowl. I empty it thinking as long as she lasts she is going to have clean water. I pour out the water and the blade of grass goes with it. I’m filling the bowl thinking “how many more times will I get to do this for her”. I fill it up (filtered water of course) and set the bowl down. She immediately bows down and starts gulping water! She drank the whole bowl! It occurs to me that what I thought was the end of my pet was actually a big “DIVA” moment. 



She wasn’t going to drink from a bowl with grass in it!! She’d rather thirst to death! As a runner I’ve drank from a green stream before!! I’ve drank from coolers full of grass! What have we done?? My dog is too good to drink from a water bowl with grass in it. Spoiled rotten!!Tried to have a discussion with her but she was having none of that. Time to sun her body by the door! SMH! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment