Thursday, October 25, 2012

WHAT HAS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE BEEN DOING?

As your Member of Congress, I think it’s important to keep you up to date with what I’m doing both in D.C. and here at home. From school visits and Capitol tours, to briefings and industry meetings, October has kept me on my toes. I’ve enjoyed talking with many of you, and I look forward to continuing our discussions in the future.

On September 8, Rep. Brett Guthrie of Kentucky, a 1982 graduate of Bradshaw High School (now Florence High School), and I had the opportunity to visit with a group of outstanding students at Florence High School. We met with several hundred seniors participating in government and economics courses and discussed the importance of good citizenship and our own work in Congress. I enjoyed getting to visit with Rep. Guthrie during his time in the Shoals. Florence High School gave him a great welcome home, and we both appreciated the time to talk with such an intelligent group.

This past week, I had the privilege of celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Cummings Research Park, the second largest research and technology park in the country. A major topic of discussion during the celebration was sequestration, or across the board federal cuts as a result of the Budget Control Act, which I voted against last August. According to keynote speaker Gov. Robert Bentley, close to 24,000 jobs could be lost in the state and an average 9.4 percent cut to most defense programs could occur if sequestration goes into effect as planned on January 2, 2013. This would be deeply destructive to national security, domestic investments, core government functions, and be a jarring hit to families and industry in our district. I’m currently a cosponsor of H.R. 5652, the Sequester Replacement Reconciliation Act of 2012, and H.R. 3662, the Down Payment to Protect National Security Act of 2011, both of which end sequestration. Unfortunately, both the Senate and the Administration have failed to act on either of these bills, or sequestration in general. I continue to fight to halt sequestration and its unacceptable consequences for our national defense.

Last Monday, I met with members of the National Space Club Board and Chairman Mike Howell, to discuss the future of the U.S. space program. I am proud of Marshall Space Flight Center, where our talented scientists, engineers, and others are tirelessly working to develop the Space Launch System, which, along with the Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle, will provide for human exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit. I will continue to work with my fellow members of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee and Congress to ensure that NASA stays on track with its human spaceflight mission.

Thanks again to all the community leaders and businesses for opening your doors and inviting me to tours and town halls throughout the Tennessee Valley so far this month. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to meet with each of you and continue hearing your thoughts on issues important to North Alabama. Please feel free to contact me at my website at http://brooks.house.gov/ for additional information or to schedule a meeting. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

Member of Congress
Alabama’s Fifth District

No comments:

Post a Comment