Monday, August 13, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


I saw a picture earlier in a friends post of an old A&P grocery store. I remember well the one that was in the old shopping center where Dub's is located. My grandmother worked at Graber's which was where the Goodwill store is now located. The picture brought back many memories but one that made me pause was a pretty bad one...worm medicine. Were we the only kids who were "wormed" on a regular basis? I can still see exactly where it sat on the store shelf. It was up high and right beside the Mercurochrome and the carbolated Vaseline. It was purple and spit right from the mouth of Satan himself. 

I remember shuddering and starting to feel the urge to throw up as soon as mama would reach for it. I can hear her now saying "you have to take it!" "You play in the dirt all day and those worms will be in places you don't want them". And Heaven forbid you were ever caught scratching an itch uh....back there , because grandmother would run to mama and say " I think Barry has pinworms". I found places to hide to take care of that😉

Funny how that picture brought back that memory. I never see worm medicine anymore (thank goodness)! It tasted like I imagine an aluminum can would taste if you melted it down and drank it. It was awful! I never had worms (to my knowledge). May have just been a colossal joke! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment