Monday, August 6, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Man...this picture brings back so many memories. This is a painting of my grandparents house that stood on the corner of Parker and New Cut Roads. My cousins and neighbors who were like Cousins and I spent endless hours playing in the yard. We played kick ball, super hero’s, matchbox cars and even The Price is Right for hours. We were hot and sweaty, but a drink from the old water spicket under the grape vine was all it took to cool us off. 

The old metal bed of Grandaddy’s ‘56 Dodge was our train engine and when our bare feet couldn’t take the hot metal anymore we would run down to “Pumpkin’s Den”. This was down by the tree house where an old Maple had partially uprooted during a storm. It was named for one of the many yard dogs that found a cool place to lay over the years. Grandmother chopping the weeds from the rows of corn and Grandaddy tilling in between tomato vines staked with whatever he could find were daily happenings that calms me even today. 

On days like today when I feel the warm breeze and smell fresh cut grass these memories and these people come back in the old squeaking screen door in my mind. I love those memories...I love those people even more ...So glad I grew up in a time when “outside” was the best phrase around. Kids today are missing out on something...we had it good! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment