Wednesday, August 8, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


It’s 12 am, the first day of school. Of course, I can’t get to sleep. So many years of these “first day’s” sleepless nights. Always thinking of things I haven’t done and going through a million scenarios of “what if’s”. So many kids have walked thorough my gym...my life. Rarely do I go somewhere that I do not run into one of them. Always a smile comes to my face when a 6’2” bearded man becomes the kindergartner who ran on the playground not so long ago. I guess as we age we get more sentimental...more retrospective...more appreciative. 

Few have the privilege of sharing lives of so many. Few have the memories of watching scared little girls and boys becoming athletes and artists, friends and leaders, and mothers and fathers. Some have become co-workers of mine. I’ve got to watch it all. Keep the kids and teachers, including myself, close in your thoughts today. We all need the encouragement. Today is a new beginning. The last first day for some of “my” kids as well as the the first “first” day for some of mine. New school years always bring a new hope for good things. Different this year; I’ll be teaching alone for the first time in a while; Gonna miss my friend. But all things change.....adapting is what teachers do best. Better get some sleep,,,gonna be “herding” kittens in the morning! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment