Friday, August 3, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


First day back at school; My career is winding down, one of the last more than likely. In my mailbox, I found my old personnel folder. Back before computers, every workshop certificate we attended had to be put in that folder. Mr. Pettus would then tally all your hours at the end of the year. It seems there was a minimum for the year back then. If you know me at all, I have a lot of trouble getting paperwork from point A to point B. I always stop and talk (know that’s hard to believe) and lay it down somewhere. I was looking through the file and an old sticky note in Mr. Pettus's handwriting was in there that said Ethics training and it had a date and the number of hours. He had also signed it. I’ll never forget the day he called me in. For 15 minutes, I heard the importance of keeping up with paperwork and that throughout my career I wouldn’t have someone looking out for me. He said the only reason he was counting them was because he sat beside me in the training. I remember leaving there a little mad and embarrassed. You know though, today as I start year twenty-seven by myself again, I sure was proud to see a hand written note from Steve Pettus. And he was wrong....someone is looking out for me. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment