Saturday, November 25, 2017

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Had a great “visit” last night with a former teacher who gave of herself more than anyone I know . One day in 5th grade I was asking a question and said “Mama” instead of her name and from that day on I was “son.” Man, she made me and everyone else she came in contact with feel special. She sat with me last night on the bleachers at the old baseball field at Clements High School. She gave me great advice about being accountable to myself and making plans now for the year ahead. She stressed the importance of writing it down and checking it off to make sure it was done. So before I went to bed I made the list. She said 4 bullet points per month was doable and to order them in importance. She has helped me become the educator and coach I am and still inspires me to be the one I need to be. You see the thing is she passed away years ago. I dreamed of her last night downstairs on the couch when I dozed off watching football. This morning I found my old senior yearbook and re-read what she had written to me. It always brings a few tears to my eyes but the last line said I will always be around when you need me. I needed her last night. Such a special lady. Thank you Gail Wunderlich! Always the best in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment