Tuesday, March 28, 2017

CROSS COUNTRY AND INDOOR TRACK AWARDS RECOGNIZED


The Cross Country/Track Awards were held at Elkmont High School on March 26.  It was a fantastic event that celebrated our Cross County and Track program and what it has become. Special guests and former runners in both XC and track programs were there to participate in the the fun. Coach Pugh shared some wonderful stories that only he can tell between the presentations. 



Our current Cross County and Track team members were recognized for their efforts as well as the 2016/2017 All State honorees

Chance Bailey

*All State Cross Country



Noah Sharp
*All State Indoor Track - Hurdles


Chase Prater
*All State Cross County *All State Indoor Track



Chase, Elkmont's first State Champion, won first place finish in the state 1600 meter indoor race.
 


The 2013 All State honoree, Tyler Helms, was also recognized for his achievements.


COACH'S CORNER:

Thanks to all who came to the XC/Track awards today! It was great to see some of my kids and parents I haven't seen in a while. Thanks Bill Tribble for the kind words, and thank you to my "parent brigade" and my wife who always get the job done! So proud of all of my past and present teams! Proud of the four young men who were honored today! Great day for EHS!

Kids did a great job last week at Cold Springs meet. When we started the track program this was one of the first meets we attended. Ever since that time Cold Springs (even though it is a good 80 miles drive one way) has been a favorite and we make the annual drive at at least two times a year with the XC and track teams. Coach Morrow pointed out that this would be the last time our seniors would attend the meet. I have six on my team this year...most I have ever "lost" in one year. 

Reflecting on their time with me brought a little somberness to the meet last night. Being involved with these kids for years develops a bond of trust, respect and love for each one of them. Teaching and coaching can never make you rich, not at the high school level anyway. Monetarily speaking that is. The memories I have deposited in my "account" all of these years is worth so much more! I can see still see my own running on that track and running that trail. Brings back great memories. 


Thankful for the opportunity to be a part of so many young lives. It is always in our mind how different the next year will be when our seniors leave. Inevitably a new "normal" takes over and new memories are made!

I wish all of them success and the accomplishment of happiness and contentment in their lives. I also hope they can look back, think about Coach Pugh and their time representing EHS and smile. Just part of life! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment