Tuesday, April 3, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


I want to say first that I love kids. I joke a lot and everyone on my team knows how I joke around. I love them and that’s why I am concerned. I want them to know that a life where you “get your way" all the time is a fantasy. I want them to know getting your feelings hurt, being overlooked, accused of something you may not have done and paying the price for other people's indiscretions is a real part of life. Life is not fair. It’s not fair. No matter how “right” you are, you are going to have to deal with situations where that doesn’t matter. 

Having a voice does not mean screaming louder than the other side. It is a thoughtful, researched process of explaining and being willing to have an open mind. Also there are rules. As bad as that may seem to children, it is true. There are (or should be) some rules that are not changed and are not subjective. Today, it seems there are so many “situation ethics” in place. This has trickled down to our young children. We are giving them a skewed sense of entitlement! 

I feel qualified to speak to this because of my years around all ages of kids and seeing the changes. It is amazing to see the absolute shock on a child’s face when you correct them. It’s amazing to see the frustration for a world with no consequences. It’s sad to watch a child be unsuccessful because valuable coping lessons are not being learned or taught. They are our future. Think about that. Is our future one of doing what “I” want? Is our future one of no consequences? Is our future one of a workforce who does not want a boss? 

Hard lessons learned too late will end in disaster. I started by saying I love kids. I truly do; have had a life career with them. Sad to say it’s becoming easier to look to retirement with a smile. The world is changing but common sense tells me not always for the best. Just my take ! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment