Thursday, July 26, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Leigh loves " Christmas in July" She has listened for years to me talking about a ceramic Christmas tree my Grandmother had. She would keep the tree up in the attic and when she would have me climb the old weathered steep stairs to get it. I can't explain the excitement, that tree held Christmas for me before I started to school. She would get it out and plug it in and it would sit in the middle of the dining room table that was actually in a bedroom they had converted into a den. I knew when that tree came out that it would not be long until we were all crammed in that 5 room house eating, laughing, and loving. She never had a big house. My Grandaddy built it himself. She always loved pretty things though. She had bowls, candy dishes, nut crackers and all the kind of things that kept young minds intrigued and wanting to touch. Ben Franklin was a treasure trove for her. She loved to set out knick knacks. 


I came home from camp and the tree was sitting on our dining room table. Not THE tree, but one like it. Memories came flooding back! Good memories....Heard today that the most we can hope to be remembered is two generations. She deserves more than that in my mind , but I know the truth is the truth. But now I have a tree...a tree that will continue keeping her close and hopefully making new memories for mine one day! Time moves on way too fast! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment