Sunday, July 8, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Was running in town this morning and saw this older gentleman and I assume his grandson walking around the square. Took me back to the days when my Grandaddy was still around. I came home and was getting ready to push mow and the gas cap was missing. I found a rag and stuck it in the tank. Seen my Grandaddy do it a million times lol. The smell of lawn mower gas always reminds me of him. 

He told me when I was young the sign of a lazy man was an unkept yard and a dirty car. (Rockin’ the yard but the car...eh). He always liked to see my truck after it was washed. I’d take it down and even when he could barely walk, he would make his way out to whistle and say “man...it looks sharp!” The last time I took him for a ride was a day I had washed and cleaned my then car. He could barely stand let alone walk but I had just bought it and he wanted to ride. I remember how I had to put him in and buckle him up and he could barely see over the dash. This man who had put me in the car many times and held my hand was now the one I had to help and hold onto. He told me that day to wash it before church because you should never drive a dirty car to church lol. Think about that every Sunday morning. Wash the car most Sundays 😀

He passed away not long after that. Man, I think about him a lot. Most town runs take me by his and grandmother’s graves. He’s been gone nearly 27 years. Today was one of those days when he really “came back around.” Grandparents....you are very special. Never forget it! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment