Monday, February 6, 2017

BARRY CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

I'll never forget being summoned to Mr.Steve Pettus' office in the spring of 2002. There was a certain freshmen whose parents had approached him asking if Elkmont would consider starting a track and field program. He knew I enjoyed running and knew that Austin Miller and his family held a special place in my heart. Dale and Gina Miller are some the greatest people you will find in Elkmont and I was happy to say yes! 

There wasn't a men's track team when I was in school and the only meets I had ever heard of were on 200 yd tracks and I had never seen a field event except on television. I won't go into all of the adventures me and my team and parents aka Austin , Dale, and Gina went through that first year but running from tornadoes (would not be the last time) and Dale having to assist me in changing my pants (another story and another time) were some memories that come to my mind. 

Our program has built upon the spirit of the Millers' dedication and their children and many parents (Janet Parham Long) who gave their time and money hauling kids, making snacks and giving unbelievable support to a then young, dark haired (hard to believe I know) coach who has gone from green to being one of the "old guys" still around. 


I will forever be grateful for the work and dedication of these kids and parents who forged a way to the successful track and Cross Country (XC) programs Elkmont High School has today. Back then, Dale and I would watch these races and vowed that one day Elkmont would be known as the elite in these sports and one day state honors would come to the teams. 

All State honors have come to our XC team for three young men in our programs over the years. We have qualified for state in each sport every year! All State track became a reality yesterday and a State Champion will walk the halls of Elkmont. Hard work from all of these kids over the years and parents and supporters came to my mind as I stood and watched him cross that finish line and gain Elkmont's first state Championship ever! His effort and his victory is his and his alone, but years of dedicated parents, athletes, coaches and assistants were running through my mind when I bear-hugged this young man through tears of joy at the finish line! 


If you have never been involved in track or XC the understanding of what it takes to qualify for state, in Noah's case make pre-lims and finals , and having a medal put around your neck for achieving all state honors is just not there. 


It is a hard task that many hard working athletes in our programs have fallen short of. But just as our XC All-State winners had, our All State track athletes and our State Champion took the spirit of all the kids who had come through our programs throughout the years. Our athletes joined to those past runners because they built upon the hard work of those who came before. 

2013
I love all of these athletes and I appreciate the kids who achieved these honors through dedication to their school and their sport. The parents, the administration, and the faculty have supported me and my kids more than I could ever express. Thank you! 

I have used this quote before but it is worth repeating. "If our schools are our homes......then athletics are our front porches that others see". Elkmont's house looked pretty good yesterday! Thanks to everyone who plays a part! Great weekend for our kids and our school! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment