Monday, June 26, 2017

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

"Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world"
I was reading an article on education earlier and ran across this quote. I remember so well being in the third grade and Mrs. Betty Roberts reading the book "Sounder" aloud to us on library days. That book and the way she made those characters come alive started my love for reading. 


Reading a book for enjoyment became a great thing in my life and I enjoy it to this day. I also remember Mrs. Randi Harbin reading "The Outsiders" to us in 9th grade English. I couldn't wait until she started and I became lost in the book when she would read. Mrs. Dianna Jackson and Mrs. Carol Field would have us write stories in reading and social studies and Mrs Martha R. Eubanks would have us write essays daily in senior English. It developed in me a love for writing and changed "my" world. 

These teachers and others stand out in my mind and have brought a lot to my life. Taking the time to read aloud to a child and having them write their thoughts and feelings can make a big difference. Thanks to all who did if for me! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment