Tuesday, June 20, 2017

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling 
"What we think we become"
I saw this quote on a shirt the other day and I agree, but with a child a lot of time it is "what we are told we are is what we think and what we become"

Headed out for summer work outs in a few. Have 20 kids plus most mornings show. As a coach, my job is to use these volunteer workouts to build not only physical strength, but also self worth and self motivation in the fact that these are doing 4+ miles at 7 am, when some choose to stay in and do nothing. These days are to me as much about building up self esteem and team spirit as it is about getting stronger and faster. If we as coaches can't praise effort and focus on positives, I believe we are ineffective. Same goes for parents. Building up young minds and lives is important. They are going to believe what they are told. First I believe we all need to set the example. Expectations are so much easier to achieve when modeled by our coaches and parents. Just my take! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment