Saturday, June 3, 2017

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Cleaning up at mama's and found my grandmother's potato masher. I spent many days with that old black vinyl chair pulled up to the counter mashing her potatoes. She knew how much I liked doing it, so no matter where I was she would open the old screen door and go out by the pie safe on the porch and yell for me. I'd be playing in the dirt and she would squirt me off with the hose to mash the potatoes. I remember thinking she didn't know how. She always told me I did it better than anyone. Early on I was made to believe I was needed. She died when I was 13. 

I didn't realize until much later that she could mash her own potatoes. She was teaching me a lesson in "self worth". I wish every kid today had people in their lives like my grandmother. They need all the encouragement they can get. Proud of the memories a simple kitchen tool can bring out. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment