Sunday, March 11, 2018

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Ok....I was running a 15k today. Been trying to get back where I was before all the neck trouble. Was having a good run (for me) averaging around an 8:25 pace. Good for the 9.3 mile. This guy who looked about my age was in front of me. I took him on every hill. He would get me on the down and the flats. The Hill around mile 4 is a steep incline. This is when I thought “oh yeah”. “My chance!” Laura Beth Dougherty ‘s drive way (aka THE BEAST) has served its purpose. 😉. I took him....added some insurance and spent the next 5.3 miles running hard to beat him. I would hear water splashing and knew it was him! I was sure he was on my heels just waiting to pass me. I climbed every hill as hard as I could at the end and finished with my goal time of under 1:20! 

Turns out the man was 42 years old and 8 years out of my age group! I’m not sure if this guy realized he helped me achieve my goal or not but he was trying just as hard or harder than me. There were no excuses today! No walking...no complaining ... just eyes on the goal. He kept me focused. We never know when we may be the push someone else needs to succeed. Imagine a school full of kids who were not “catered” to success but pushed and motivated by the goals they have set. I know our teachers are using data and strategies to help students reach their goals. A good thing in my opinion. We never know how a push to succeed instead of acceptance of mediocre can affect our kids!! My take! And yeah...I placed first in my age group racing a man who was never racing me! 🤔. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment