Friday, September 13, 2013

I WANT A HOT MEAL BUT THERE IS NO POWER ..... NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS MONTH TIP

A powerless cooker you can make using scraps!

from the Survival Mom

You may have enough food stored away to get you through a disaster, but do you have a way to cook it? I was feeling pretty confident about my supply of food, until the power went out for 2 weeks! I quickly realized it’s pointless having food if you don’t have a way to cook it (unless you enjoy eating dried pasta and beans). To truly be a Survival Mom you need to take the next step and figure out a way to cook your food without power.


Apple box oven  

I’m spoiled, I’ll admit it, I don’t think I’ve gone a day without electricity until a hurricane swept through our town and taught me a lesson I would never forget. Immediately afterwards, I researched different powerless cooking methods so I would never be in the same predicament again. There are plenty of options out there, but I noticed many of them can be costly. No need to worry though, because I have you covered!
 
Not only is this powerless cooker practically free, you can make it with the scraps you have just lying around. You’ll be saving a chunk of cash, re-purposing items, and becoming prepared all at the same time.

Apple Box Oven

The apple box Oven uses about 1/2 the charcoal that a Dutch oven uses and gives the same results as baking in a regular oven! A lot of the meals in my food storage need to be baked in an oven, so going without one would be tough! You can bake 3 loaves of bread at the same time, cook your famous casserole, or make anything else your heart desires. Even if you don’t want to make one right now, you can always gather up the supplies and throw them in an apple box. Then if you’re ever without power you’ll have something to do!
 
Supplies:

  • APPLE BOX
  • HEAVY DUTY FOIL
  • HIGH HEAT FOIL TAPE
  • SPRAY ADHESIVE
  • OVEN BAG
  • BOX CUTTER
  • CANDY THERMOMETER
Fuel Needed:

  • CHARCOALS - about 17 coals to cook for 1 Hour @ 350
  • FOR ONE YEAR - you will need 22 bags of charcoal (16 lbs. each)
  • DON’T FORGET – store extra newspapers & matches to light the charcoal.
Directions:

  • Click HERE for Step-by-Step Instructions

No comments:

Post a Comment