Sunday, November 2, 2014

WHO TO VOTE FOR - DISTRICT ONE COMMISSIONER


CANDIDATES: BOTH FROM ELKMONT

Name: Stanley G. Hill
Age: 62 Personal: Married to: Peggy Patterson Hill, three children, six grandchildren. Civic or volunteer affiliations: Member Elkton Road Baptist Church Educational background: Graduated from Elkmont High School


Name: Brion Williams
Age: 54 Personal: I've been married to Sandra Watson Williams for 36 years this December. Civic or volunteer affiliations: (None listed) Educational background: Graduate of Elkmont High School

 
Q: What do you see as the biggest challenge facing District 1 and what plans do you have to address the issue?

 

Hill: The number one problem I have heard while campaigning was road conditions. I will make sure the money that is budgeted for roads will be spent on roads. I will work hard to obtain funds from state and federal programs that can benefit the citizens of Limestone County. I will strive to have the matching funds for ATRIP projects in District 1.
 

Williams: Just doing the real work of a commissioner. More money should be spent on the actual needs of the community, not purchasing real estate. The safety and upkeep of our roads is very important, such as reflective paint, proper drainage, prompt repairs on potholes and the list goes on.
 
Q: The upkeep of Limestone County’s roads and bridges is obviously an important part of being a county commissioner. What will you do to ensure taxpayer money is efficiently spent on projects?
 

Hill: I will be a “hands-on” commissioner to make sure funds are spent where they are designated to be spent. I will make every effort to save the taxpayers money and reduce unnecessary spending. I will communicate with the county engineering department and other local government agencies to ensure taxpayer money is efficiently spent on projects. I will review monthly budgets to see the big picture.



Williams: I would do my best to review and examine the proposals for each project and make sure contractors do what they say they will do. Accountability is the key to ensure taxpayer money is efficiently spent.
 

Q: All taxpayer money spent by the commission is open to public scrutiny. What specific ideas do you have regarding government transparency and what steps would you take to ensure the public is aware of how taxpayer dollars are spent?
 
Hill: I will make sure the county office will cooperate with the public’s right to know. I will be available to answer the taxpayers concerns.
 

Williams: I believe the budget should always be available to the taxpayers. Being a taxpayer myself, I want to know my money is being used properly. Publishing the expenditures of the commission is the way it ought to be. I would keep a copy of any reports handy at my desk in the event someone would like to review them.

Q: Other governmental bodies — including local school boards and the Athens City Council — hold their meetings during late-afternoon or evening hours, which afford residents who work the chance to attend meetings. Work sessions and regular meetings of the Limestone County Commission are held at 10 a.m., meaning working residents are unable to attend. Would you be willing to change the hours of these meetings to allow more people to hear the business of the county? Why or why not?

 
Hill: The local school board members and the Athens City Council members have jobs during the day. Evening and night meetings may work best for them. Whenever meetings are planned, there will be those who will not be able to attend. Whenever the commission meets, I will be there. I really have no objection to changing the time, although the meetings are a part of the job, which is why they are held during the workday.
 

Williams: Meetings should be easy for the public to attend. The hours should be considerate of the taxpayer and what is going on in the community. More community involvement equals accountability.



ELECTION IS NOVEMBER 4. REMEMBER TO BRING PICTURE ID

No comments:

Post a Comment