Tuesday, February 16, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Wow! Who else remember these? I remember having one in the first grade! It was Red and had Alabama National Guard on the side. 

Back then Mr. Ed Batts would be in the building beside the old coal chimney during our break. This is about where the lunch room is now at Clements High School. We would walk down the concrete steps and I can just hear him asking "what'll it be?" I always got a coke (yeah with real sugar in it) and it was a cold big glass bottle he would pull from the old long coke cooler. He would open it on the old two tooth opener attached to the cooler and then he would run his finger around the rim of the top to make sure none of the glass broke. They were $.25. 

We then would walk in the school and Wynell Reynolds and my aunt Jo Ann Byram would pull a table out of the janitors closet between the bathrooms and sell us break snacks. Mama would put two quarters in that change carrier in the morning and stuff it in the front pocket of my jeans. I was on the husky side and it would usually take me and two or three friends to pull it out of that pocket. The quarters would stick to the plastic so poor old Wynell would have to take my quarter out every day for me. I had that same money every day but I remember every day saying " What will this buy?" I can just see my aunt waving her hand across the the table and saying " ANYTHING," I know they were tired of me! 

I haven't thought of that in a long time! Kids today get only water and they get their snack from a machine. I have to shake it daily to get the snacks to fall! The amount of change these cost today wouldn't fit in one of these. Funny how a picture can bring back some great memories! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment