Thursday, February 4, 2016

GARTH GARRIS RETIRES


Garth Garris, principal at Elkmont High School, recently retired. He grew up in the Elkmont area and returned to his roots when the varsity basketball high coaching job become available in the summer of 2010.  Some of his fondest memories were made during his brief time as coach before the basketball program lost him to the principal's job.


Garth Garris' Thoughts:
"I wanted to come back to Elkmont after I graduated from college but the East Limestone High School had a basketball coaching/teacher job that came up first.  I had some really great years at East before I moved into administration in Madison County. My last job there was the principal of Madison High School.  

As Brady (Garth and Allison's son) started school, it became a goal of mine for us to go to school together.  That opportunity became available at the school that always was in my heart, Elkmont.

I became the head varsity basketball coach in the summer of 2010. I asked Mr. Glass (the principal) if I could also be part of the football staff so I could get to know my players before the season started.  I had a great time working with that group of young men and watching their progress over the next few years. Being a part of their journey to the Elite Eight (basketball finals of Northwest Regional) in 2011-2012 is a cherished memory.


I have now been here for 5 and a half years. As I look back over my time here in Elkmont, I feel that I achieved my goals of making every child feel accepted and loved; that all of them were equal in the sight of the staff; that the same standards of behavior were expected from all.  I also think I was successful in breaking down the barriers that existed between school staff, parents and students; that my door was open to everyone.  I feel that students grew to trust me as having their best interests at the center of my efforts. I look forward to experiencing the rest of Brady's high school career at Elkmont as just a parent and being with the community I love."


Thank you to the Elkmont Faculty & Staff for Garth's surprise retirement party and thoughtful gifts. Special thanks to MaryJane Hobbs & Beth Allfrey Bates for organizing the event. 

I pray they get forgiveness for all the lies they have told lately!! Please note that it was a surprise or I would hope Garth would not have had on those AWFUL pants (kids love, I hate)... Which by the way are retiring along with him tomorrow!!! Garth's new school colors are Green & Gold... I sure hope the pants Jason Pendergrass and Gina Miller want to get him are back ordered for a VERY, VERY long time!!!
Allison Garris 


First grade is going to miss Mr Fancy Pants! They love him so much. Thank you for being such a great role model to them and making school fun!!

BARRY'S CORNER:
After working in education for 23+ years one may get just a little cynical and believe that we are never going to see things turn around. That we are never going to see people who care enough to put students, teachers, and the good of the school before themselves and stand up for all of these when it may not be the popular thing to do. I was proven wrong when Garth Garris became principal at EHS. In the short time he was there I saw these things done and much more to make our school a better place. The next administrator has some big shoes to fill. We are going to miss him!


GARRIS RETIRING FROM ELKMONT
Garth Garris is stepping out of the principal's office at Elkmont High School. His last official day is Jan. 29 at the school he's called home as both a student and administrator. “It's been a fun ride,” Garris told The News Courier on Wednesday. “(Elkmont is) always dear in my heart.”



Garris has worked in schools both in Limestone and Madison counties over the last 25 years and lived in Limestone since he was a young man. None of that is going to change with retirement, Garris said, as he plans to continue living in Limestone and commute to Lincoln County, Tennessee, where he's been named the next principal of Highland Rim Elementary School. “It was a good opportunity I couldn't pass up,” Garris said about his new job, adding Lincoln County just hired a new superintendent, Bill Heath. “I'm excited about (Heath's) vision for Lincoln County.”

Garris' retirement is the latest in a string of county principals retiring, moving to other schools within the district or moving to the district's central office. Garris is the second retirement after Bill Hardyman left Piney Chapel Elementary School in October. 


The Elkmont principal has enjoyed a varied career since he started as a history teacher and varsity boys basketball coach at East Limestone High School in 1991. He graduated from Elkmont in 1986. Late East Limestone coach Jimmy Drake helped put Garris into his first position, Garris said, and mentored him with coaching different sports over the next 12 years. Drake also encouraged Garris to further his education and become a certified school administrator. 

After leaving East, Garris spent the next three years as an assistant principal at Monrovia Elementary School and the following two years as an assistant principal at Hazel Green High School. In 2008, he was named the principal of Madison County High School, before returning to Limestone as Elkmont's boys basketball coach in 2010. He became principal in 2013.  


“I love that,” he said. “I never thought I'd become a principal again. It's not something I ever thought would happen. I loved every minute of it. I just can't thank people enough.Without education, I never would have known these people,” he said about his staff and mentors.

Now he's preparing goodbye messages to the children and staff he's cared for over the last two and a half years. “I love them very much,” he said. “I appreciate everything they've done for me. It was a joy to come work for them every day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment