Friday, June 24, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT


Running on the trail early this morning and listening to the thunder in the distance gave me time to pause and really appreciate where we live.  Listening as the creek started to run stronger and faster let me know rain was on the way and that somewhere upstream a shower was coming down. 


I started this morning reading a story about grown men and women, who are supposed to be leaders and lawmakers, sitting on the floor and making a spectacle of themselves. This is not the example I want the the kids of this country to see or people of the world to see. Leadership has failed us miserably. 


Representatives on both sides are only perpetuating childish behavior and immaturity to the point of embarrassment. It is easy to go for my run and forget the story and have the attitude that it doesn't really affect me. It does no matter what I tell myself. Until we start speaking out and making people we elect accountable to us, it is going to continue. We have to start teaching our young people that their voice matters and that good leaders are needed. 


Self respect, self regulation and a self awareness that everything may not go the way I want has to be reinforced and started very young. Perspective tells me that just like the stream this morning what happens "higher up" will always trickle down. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment