Saturday, December 19, 2015

ELKMONT CHURCH OF CHRIST AND ROGER JACKSON

The Decatur Daily ran an uplifting faith based article
on December 18 about Roger Jackson, his life, search for redemption, acceptance, and salvation. The Elkmont Church of Christ is a big part of that article.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE


.......... In 2004, he took a position at a small church in Limestone County, where he stayed until his 2008 arrest for drunk driving. This church asked for his resignation, Jackson went to rehab and began to search for a new church home. He found one at Elkmont Church of Christ.


“I remember going to Steve Fergurson, the minister at Elkmont, and thanking him for helping me and receiving me. He looked at me and said, ‘We thought you were worth the saving,’ ” Jackson said. “The brethren have been very patient with me. I should have been black-balled and run out on a rail. I wasn’t. John Lewis one of the Elders there, along with many others encouraged us and made us feel welcome there."

At Elkmont Church of Christ, Jackson first learned of Project Rescue, a faith-based addiction recovery program in Priceville. Since opening five years ago, the program has reached 166 men and carries a success rate of 40 percent.  “When we first started, we traveled from church to church to get the name Project Rescue out there,” said Ronnie Crocker, program manager at Project Rescue.  “When we went to Elkmont, Roger Jackson offered to volunteer."

At Project Rescue, where Jackson recovered after his relapse in 2012, he teaches hermeneutics, or how to interpret the Bible. He starts the one-on-one sessions simply by picking up the book and saying “This is the Bible.”

During the past three years, he savored the success stories, like that of the former addict from Chicago who is now married and working a stable job. He also mourned the loss of the individuals who overdosed or committed suicide.  “I tell each of the men we are not dealing with a habit. We are dealing with life or death. I tell them about the men who have blown their brains out, because they need to know. They need to take this seriously so when they are faced with a drink or with drugs, they will choose life,” Jackson said.  He gives each of the men a copy of his book, “Alcoholism: A Biblical Solution,” which details his own struggles with addiction.
.....................................
If you click on the link and read the Decatur Daily article, Roger Jackson has a few clarifications that he wants us to know.

The statement of "not regretting" is not correct at all as I regret ever falling into the sin of alcoholism and the pain and suffering it brought to the church and my family and sinning against God. I admire all the men connected with Project Rescue and the patience and kindness they have shown to me. And Ronnie and Charles have 2 excellent wives helping them in this good week, Jeanie Nicks Crocker and Martha Baggett. Thank you for allowing me to try and clarify some of this of which the most important one was the "DID NOT REGRET " statement. I do not blame the reporter as she probably just misunderstood me and I thank her for contacting me.--- Roger Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment