Sunday, January 12, 2014

THERE SHE IS...MISS DISTINGUISHED YOUNG WOMAN - BRIANNE HARGROVE

Our Brianne Hargrove has been recognized as the Limestone County's Distinguished Young Woman Representative for this year.  She will join 45 other contestants in Montgomery to compete for the Alabama's Distinguished Young Woman award.  The winner will gain a spot in the national program and more than $130,000 in scholarships.  She will spend a week speaking with community groups, practicing her talent routine and visiting elementary schools.  Formerly called the Junior Miss contest, it was renamed the Distinguished Young Woman  in 2010.  The state finals will take place Jan. 18 at Frazer United Methodist Church in Montgomery.  Brianne will be judged on her interview, scholastics, talent, fitness and self-expression.  If she wins, she will represent Alabama in the national contest, June 28-30 in Mobile.

Brianne Hargrove
Age: 17
Hometown: Elkmont
School: Elkmont High
Parents: David and Regina Hargrove
 

Talent: Color Guard routine to "Hall of Fame" by The Script  

Send well wishes to: Brianne Hargrove, 8561 Harbinger Court, Montgomery, AL, 36117.
 

The package addressed to "Miss Brianne Hargrove" arrived a week after the competition. The contents would change the high school senior's life.

"The only reason I competed in the program was because I wanted to go to UNA and needed help with tuition," Hargrove said. "My mom went there and played the trumpet in band. I wanted to be part of the family tradition."
Encouraged by her teacher Pam Fuller, whose daughter competed in the program and earned a scholarship to the University of North Alabama, Hargrove signed up for the state's at-large program, established for counties without a local competition.


Unlike Morgan and Lawrence counties, a local Distinguished Young Women program did not take place in Limestone County last year.
"Waiting was torture. When I got the envelope, I could feel the medallion inside and knew I would be attending UNA," Hargrove said.
With the scholarship funds, Hargrove plans on studying photography and graphic design. Since earning a spot at the state level, Hargrove received unexpected support from Julie Frederick, a Colbert County Junior Miss from 1999 who spearheaded the effort to create a program in Limestone County.
 

"This is a fantastic program that focuses on academics and service and encouraging young women to be active in their community," Frederick said. "I want to see it grow in Limestone County and give the girls the same life-changing opportunity I had."

"Life-changing" — Hargrove could not describe Distinguished Young Women any better.
"I was so shy before if I didn't know you. This has really helped me break out of my shell," Hargrove said. "I know I will grow more at state, but I'm really nervous. I really want to do well and represent my county the best I can."


For talent, the captain of the Elkmont High color guard, who started throwing flags in the fifth grade, will perform a routine to "Hall of Fame" by The Script featuring will.i.am.
"I just want to do my best and give it my all and maybe do something that will inspire someone else," Hargrove said.


Interesting Things about Brianne:
Her favorite book:
"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I own three copies. My Mom always read me it as a kid. That book taught me so much about giving back. Even when you think you have nothing else to give, you can.

Her favorite TV show:
 "I Love Lucy." I think I'm a Lucy. I hope I entertain people like she does, but I hope I don't get on their nerves.

Last Downloaded Song:
"Colors of the Wind" from "Pocohantas." I love Disney movies, although my favorite song of all time is "Sweet Home Alabama." You can't beat a little "Sweet Home" by Lynyrd Skynrd.

Who would you most like to meet:
 Lucille Ball. My grandmother would tape all of the episodes and we would watch them together. She bought the DVDs when they came out in black and white. When they started coming out in color, she bought them also.

To read the source article, click link: Decatur Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment