Wednesday, February 28, 2018

ELKMONT GRAD BECOMES WRITER


Most of us wonder what happened to members of our graduating high school class.  Many stay within 30 miles of where they grow up but some take paths less traveled and move to other places.  Scott Burkett, Elkmont High Class of 1985, is an example of one of those adventurous classmates.  “We lived in numerous areas of North Alabama with my dad being a Methodist pastor … I have three brothers so we spent countless hours roaming fields and woods, hunting and fishing.”

  

After graduating high school, he joined the military and served as a medic, assigned to an infantry company with the 101st Airborne at Ft Campbell, Ky. For many years, Scott worked as an over the road driver for several trucking companies located in the southeastern United States. He has three children, Heather, Brittany and Brian and one grandson.


In 2006, Scott completed his Bachelor of Science in Nursing at Jacksonville State University and currently resides in Las Vegas, NV where he works as an emergency room RN 
.

 I live in Las Vegas now, but only wound up here for work,” he said.

 I can't wait to move back to Alabama.


In the meantime, Burkett is an author in his spare time.  He had always been interested in writing but didn't start out with the goal of being published.  He had a flare for poetry and short stories, writing down his thoughts and observations.



“I guess I just decided to publish some of my work to see actually if anyone would buy it,” Burkett said. “I
had allowed several friends and family members to read some of it and the general consensus was I should give it a try."  It is hard to break into the author market so he self-published,  “Solace in the Dark — A Revision of Thoughts Along Life’s Passageways." Book Link: Solace in the Dark



A friend of mine, also from Elkmont, is a ghost writer and encouraged me to give it a try,” he said, adding he was provided with the links to get started on Amazon for Kindle.

“It sold a few copies among friends and family but was limited only to people that had Kindles,” Burkett said.  “So after a few months, I pulled it from Kindle, revised it and published the version now available. I remember the first royalty check I received from Amazon,” he said. “Although it was only $89, the feeling of pride and personal satisfaction from that small amount was unmatched by any check I’ve received from working a job."
 
  I have a western novel that I’m almost finished with,” he said. “The story centers around a young man that loses his family during the Civil War and travels west to Nevada and California to seek his fortune in the gold and silver mines.” The plan is to develop the story into a series of novels. Book Link: 
 Jackson Hughes
Reviews:
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read,
I just finished reading this, and it was a great read. I highly recommend it to everyone. Poetry is great, and the short stories were well written. Can't wait to see what the author has up his sleeve for the next book. Go buy this one today.


5.0 out of 5 stars
Beautifully written poetry. Simply written, yet still thought provoking. The author did a great job of conveying his emotions in his poems. The short stories were very nicely written. Both touching deep chords and reminding the reader of the hardships of life as well as the beauty. A quick read but it will definitely make the reader think. MUST READ!!!!
Scott Burkett Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment