Monday, May 18, 2015

ELKMONT'S MICHAEL FARRIS IN THE ROCKET

Michael Farris, one of Elkmont's seniors, was recently recognized for his interest in engineering in the Red Stone Rocket. The highlights of the article are below and a link for the complete article at bottom of the post.


Huntsville Center Engineers Mentor Local Students Highlights:
Two students from Limestone County School District’s Career Technical Center shadowed Huntsville Center engineers in a three-session mentoring activity to gain an understanding of engineering careers within the federal government.

Seniors Michael Farris of Elkmont High School and Zane Oligee of Clements High School spent time with engineers from the Installation Support and Programs Management and Engineering directorates and learned more about engineering and project management career fields.


“This program involves students doing extensive career research and then choosing a professional to work with for a period of time.All students in this program are college bound, and most have received several scholarship offers before any consideration is given to participate in the program. The professions vary from year-to-year. Zane and Michael are four-year members of our school’s First Robotics team, and both are highly interested in becoming engineers.

“Huntsville has some great technical people,” Farris said. “I learned a lot about engineering from both directorates. I really enjoyed talking with Mr. Martin, from the ISPM staff. He gave me some great ideas on how I can get experience as a student before graduating from college. He told me how the Army and the Corps is short on students entering STEM careers right now. He told me I’m needed to fill slots for those who are retiring from government service. I really didn’t know the government hires students like me. He also told me about how project management works. I didn’t know engineers work as project managers too. I learned a lot from both teams. But having a good grasp of what other technical careers are out there is very beneficial to me.”

Farris plans to pursue his undergraduate degree in engineering later this fall at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.


For complete article: THE REDSTONE ROCKET

No comments:

Post a Comment