Friday, March 4, 2016

BARRY'S CORNER - LIVING IN ELKMONT

Leigh and I went up to to The Nashville Flea Market yesterday afternoon. If you like to "dig" and "sort through" you can find some great things there. If you are like me and "things" you see bring back memories from your past it is a great place to visit. 
http://www.americanclassical.net/janda/products/productimage/1204692898_611%20-%20Garden%20Antique%20Cast%20Iron%20Garden%20Bench%20Coalbrookdale.jpg

I remember going to my great grandmother's, Ma -Matt, and playing for hours in her front yard. There was some old yard furniture there that was made of iron and had designs on it. While it was rusted when I was young, you could tell it had an air of richness about it and had been quite fancy in it's day. We would play on the the furniture and pick pears off the ground and sit and eat them. The https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiA8p2ZEzulm9owFPjRY5hUAgfdNPTN7L2fUq9PGMlugORoGb374AMN6NXWLwvECqPEUYt-IEZR2sH_gU52-T1UoK4jQKWTiNRofn6qckl4I88SZobtYxK4YyeDjKwPYZRENh2B6sgvYy0E/s320/2.2.1.jpgsmell of the old oaks and the acorns on the ground was strong and Aunt Frances' cats would come out and chase the acorns we threw. 

I remember when grandmama would get through cleaning and come out and tell us to get in the car we would have to rub the rust off of our legs to sit on her seats. The trees, the smells, the old house was as constant to me then as eating, sleeping and going to Sunday worship was. 


Saw some of the furniture yesterday there. That is what growing up should be about. That is what I want for kids today. As we go about electing leaders and sorting through ideals, I think it is important to remembers some things. Even though things are scary and sometimes seem out of control, there is an old oak tree somewhere with some old rusted furniture under it to ground us and to realize that there is only One who is really in control. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment